Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Three Days - 238 Miles

Okay, already I'm bushed.  I think I've been trying to cross the country in too much of a hurry.  Denise tells me to enjoy the ride . . . sounds like good advice.  So here's my one minute sermon for today, "Don't be so focused on the destination that you forget to enjoy the journey."  Amen.

Fields of purple and white Clary sage greeted me as I left Edenton.




The day started off cool but eventually settled in at around 70 degrees - a perfect day to ride.  Since it was Sunday, I anticipated stopping at a church if I was going by one at 11:00.  However, I was in such a remote area that churches were few and far between, even the Baptists!  I did see scores of pickup trucks early in the morning with dog cages in the back.  Those eastern NC men must like running their dogs on early Sunday mornings.

We camped after the first days ride at Medoc Mountain (which was not a mountain) State Park.  Park Ranger Sandra was very kind to us, and the park was nearly deserted.


The bathrooms were clean, yea!  I attracted a tick, boo.  But all was well until we awakened at 1:15 with teeth chattering.  We'd left our sleeping bags in the car, thinking light sheets would be sufficient in our summer slumber.  The temperature got down to 45, brrr!  Guess who was elected to go to the car to get the sleeping bags?





Next day's ride was filled with mis-direction.  We were to meet for lunch in Franklinton, which is home to the first church I served as a student intern.  My bike GPS, however, directed me five miles south of Franklinton, leaving me stuck on a road with a bridge out, not knowing which way to go.  Denise came to my rescue and we had a quick lunch in town, and sentimental photos in front of the church.





Serendipitously, we passed by the second church on the two-point charge, Wesley Chapel, where I preached most of my sermons that summer.  Perhaps it was providence and not the GPS that sent me that way.



Today's ride was full of hills, which I don't mind because they allow me to get out of the saddle and give my tuckus a rest.  No pics today, however.  I sent my photographer, Denise, on ahead, feeling more confident about my route.  The wheat fields and sage of eastern NC gave way to acres of corn in the Piedmont, with a tobacco field still scattered here and there.  Today was the best day yet, and it felt good to be alive and on two wheels.  Look for a post next time I get a wifi signal . . .

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Pastor. Know that we're "praying without ceasing" for the both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark. So glad to hear you are off to a good start. Will be praying for a safe journey for you.

    ReplyDelete