Thursday, June 5, 2014

Blue Ridge Hideaway



Ominous is the obvious word to describe the skies as I rode on the Blue Ridge Parkway today . . . but the rain was minimal, though chilly.  Glad I had my rain jacket just so I could stay warm.

I was riding for my friend Katheryn today, who directs a breast cancer charity in Hickory called "Through Healing Eyes."  Thanks for the jersey, Angela and Beth.  As I ride primarily for women and children who are oppressed by others, I am mindful, and prayerful, for all who are burdened by life-changing illness.




The day started with a long climb, and several shorter ones afterward.  I found myself humming tunes to make the strain of pedaling go by quicker.  For some reason I was using French Christmas carols.  There's no reason.

The Parkway was wonderful with little traffic to speak of, which was true of most of the day.





Stopped by this old shed/barn for a quick lunch with Denise, who doesn't like to be photographed.  The quilting design is typical of many barns that we passed on this day, adding to the beauty and pleasure of the day's ride.






After over 40 miles of hills, I wasn't sure I wanted to ride any further.  Denise came to my rescue with an ice cold Southern treat --- Cheerwine!  That gave me just the jolt I needed to finish the last leg of the day, and much to my relief it was a long stretch along Big Horse Creek in Ashe County, meandering curves following the flow of the creek but no hills to climb.



Ended the day at Thomas' and Susan's cabin, with spaghetti whipped up by Denise so I could load up on carbs.  So thankful for the plush accommodations!

Next stop --- Breaks Interstate Park in Virginia.  Two massive climbs tomorrow.  Then it's all downhill --- hah!



I am so thankful to all who have made this journey possible.  This journey is a blessing from God for me.


1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! Living vicariously through you! You are amazing! Keep the spirit!!!

    ReplyDelete