Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Typical Day




A typical day on the Transamerica Bicycle Trail begins at sun-up, or about 6:00, rolling up sleeping bags and air mattresses; suiting up in my cycling clothes; eating breakfast – which usually has consisted of an egg salad sandwich made by Denise, a banana, yogurt, a protein shake and some dried fruit. 



We may have woken up in a campground, a hostel, or the floor of a church fellowship hall, but the daily chore of packing up the car and getting me ready to ride is the same – drink bottles are filled, snack bars packed, maps, suntan lotion, sunglasses, etc., all in preparation for the day’s ride.





If I’m lucky I can get on the road by 7:00, but usually it’s between 7:30 and 8:00.  Denise hits the road in the car, usually a little later as she takes care of final packing details.

And I ride.  


Denise will meet me about 20 – 30 miles out and I’ll have a snack and refill a drink bottle, and I’ll ride some more.  Then we’ll meet again at 40 – 50 when I’ll have a lunch of peanut butter and jelly.  And then I ride some more.  Denise has also helped out by going ahead and scoping out the places where I need to make a turn to a new road.  Some states are better than others at marking their roads.

Mostly I ride.  If the road is lonely I can enjoy the sights along the way, but sometimes the road has light to moderate traffic, as in the last few days, and I have to keep my eyes on the road.  This is especially true here in western Kansas during wheat harvest time.  Caravans of harvester farm equipment-for-hire are travelling from field to field.  Riding a bicycle as they pass by can be a bit intimidating.  Thankfully, they have typically given me a wide berth.  Denise was filming one such caravan in Ness City as they slowed to a halt for the town “four way” (intersecting highways.)  She was surprised to see who was riding along…


I’m usually finished by 2:00 unless I got a late start, or I’ve gone especially far.  Then comes the work of finding and settling in to whatever place will be our overnight accommodation.  We try to get a shower if possible, rest a bit before supper in whatever restaurant we can find (and in some of these smaller towns, that can be an adventure in its own right).  But there’s always more work to be done to plan the route ahead for the next day or two, locate accommodations and get whatever groceries on which we are running low.  Denise does laundry, or I wash out my cycle clothes in a sink.  Denise prepares meals for days ahead, boils eggs for breakfasts and, if we have a wifi signal, she downloads pictures (which Denise has been taking all day long), and we blog :)

Then we go to sleep, early if possible, since we’re getting up early, too.  Speaking of which . . . yawn . . . good night all.  We appreciate your love and prayers.




3 comments:

  1. Praying for ya'll as you head west. Thank you both for sharing this adventure with us. Justin and I missed you at conference and hope that this time is renewing and exciting for you. Love and blessings,
    Shelton, Justin, Avery and Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed this one! Something special about getting a peek into "a day in the life"... Love that it is going well... glad that the cars are being kind... Shared it with mom and she was also pleased that everyone is safe - she has taken to watching midwestern weather and worrying/praying for you guys! So we are glad you are dry and haven't blown away! As we've said before - we miss you! :) Hugs and love.

    The Kales (Catie, Chris, Caden & Claire) and Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this insight into your daily life.....I must say I have found myself wondering what y'all are doing evey day (well, besides riding across the country!!!). Sounds like a lot of strategic planning and sore muscles. Maddie thinks you should alter your route to end at Disney World! (I traced your route across her USA placemat!). It's not too late for a change, right??? :) praying daily!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete